Thursday 30 August 2012

Musings on being a Grown Up


I often have concerns about growing up but the problem is I don’t actually now what that entails, not considering myself a Grown-Up at all.
This can be difficult especially when I land up yelling at my eldest, who is all of nine years old, that he needs to grow up. I fear that is the pot calling the kettle black.
Being a Grown-Up and feeling like a Grown-Up are obviously two completely unrelated things. You are a Grown-Up in that you are adult but whether you behave or feel like a Grown-Up is a matter of opinion.
When I think of Grown-Ups I think of my parents and it dawns on me that my boys see me as a Grown-Up and that in all probability my parents view their parents as the Grown Ups and so it will continue.
Grown-Ups are organised, poised, glamorous, unflappable, serene, knowlegable, considered, entertaining and endlessly patient. Attributes I have yet to garner – but that is my picture of a Grown Up I dread to think what my son thinks a Grown Up is; probably loud, contradictory, unfair, disorganised, nosey, and with a dubious dress sense.
And on that basis I should not be encouraging him to grow-up at all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are completely spot on... to add to the list of what my kids think constitutes an adult... mostly hysterical, sometimes bossy and unable to function without coffee during the day and wine during the evening...

About Last Weekend said...

Yes hello out there all cooking implements I am the original pot.

Expat mum said...

Sometimes I stop in the middle of doing something and realise that this being a "grown-up" is hard work and never ending. Can I have a do-over?

Rob-bear said...

Some of us are Grown-ups. Some of us are just Over-grown.

Bear feels that he is in the latter category. Sigh!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin