Saturday 1 October 2011

A wandering virus fed murble

Everything goes blank, seizes up and nothing works properly. There is a general go-slow and your memory starts to fail. What you want to do doesn't happen and you start to heat up.
It gets scary when  both you and the computer decide to do exactly the same thing at exactly the same time and you wonder in your heated state if  computer viruses can jump the species gap a bit like H5N1 (avaian bird flu) and its at that point you realise you shouldn't be trying to interview people on the telephone let alone co-ordinating a conference call especially if you are thinking  along the plot lines of Steven Speilberg's AI rather than concentrating on the ramifications of Empty Rates for Commercial Property on today's annuity rates for pensioners. ( my job as a journalist  is a glamorous one - oh yes!)
It's amazing the things I think of when I should be concentrating and it is surprising how often I seem to get away with it, I mean people don't notice. It's a bit like driving really, you know the times when suddenly you are there and yet you don't recollect that  you have crossed a major junction, driven through a village and negotiated a pair of extrermely nasty set of bends.
Auto-pilot.
Perhaps the people I interviewed today did notice but were too polite to say: "Oi! Are you there Moriarty?"
See off on a tangent now thinking of Sherlock Holmes.

7 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Hope you're feeling better, soon.
And yes we realize that, "when you're hot, you're hot."
As for, "faking it," you could lose your writer's licence for having revealed that professional trick. You're on thin ice now, Ms. Weasle.
And yes, these illnesses strangely do jump from computers to people. Or so it would appear to the mind of the creative writer. Or the creative mind of the writer.
They say animals eventully take on the appearance of their owners. Perhaps that affinity occurs eventually between people and their computers.
Bear concludes his observations. But, really, what does a Bear know?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I shouldn't worry . Whoever you were talking to won't have totally understood the whole thing , him/herself.
Annuities and private private pensions are wreathed in mystery .
Oh , and don't try to get any definite information about whether it's going to rain tomorrow either .

Mother Hen said...

When the memory starts to fail, you don't realize that a whole month has ended. I guess mine is failing. I looked at your blog date twice and finally got it. It's October already. Better up the B vits and essential oils.

Suburbia said...

Scary when we go on auto pilot! Sometimes it can be a relief tho!

Pondside said...

The auto-pilot thing happens to me and scares the life out of me. How did I get here?... or I missed my turn!....it happens sometimes, mostly because of lack of sleep.
I hope your species-jumping virus lets up soon!

Spencer Park said...

It happens to me all the time! It is one of the reasons I want, no need, to find a job nearer to home!

Marcheline said...

I've read this post three times in a row, and all I can think of is "What's a murble?".

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin