Monday 18 October 2010

Review: Toy Story & Toy Story II...PS. Desmond Morris I love you...

Minding my own business on the way back from the school run the other day I overheard on the radio that watching good quality musical films with your toddler was as good as, if not better than reading a book to them...and with those few simple words a whole weight was lifted from my shoulders, the sun came out, the blue birds sang and as I raced up the hill my arms opening as wide as the mountainous vista before me...sorry that moutainous vista bit is hardly likely to be found in Suffolk and anyway I was driving home not running up a mountain to skive and sing my little heart out: but you get the picture.
Joy.
Thank you so much Mr Desmond Morris, I no longer need to feel guilty as I skive off work on an afternoon, cuddle up with Bog Boy and do Toy Story  and Toy Story II back to back with a large bowl of popcorn.
Desmond's entertaining commentary  has caused a bit of a whiff among those who take this parenting lark a bit too seriously, relax live a little! The thing I have learnt in life is that a little of what you fancy is Ok - and I do mean a little..and of course DO use common sense, a much maligned and little used commodity. I do not mean hard drugs and any other illegal substance, activity etc etc.
Now let me settle down and watch something my boys and I have seen time and time again as well worn as The Gruffalo and equally as well loved. Toy Story. Such a simple tale and just, well so brilliant. Do you know I bought the video, yes I acquired my original copy of Toy Story way back when..actually long before The Boy was born and I had to wait years and I mean years before I could share it with him. I love it. My boys love it and on a wet afternoon before hurtling off on the school run to fetch The Boy, Bog Boy and I loved it all over again and this time it was just like being that the movies with perfect picture and great quality sound thanks to having at last a copy on Disney Blu Ray. For a classic like this I would fork out the extra esp if like me the only other copy you have is a seriously well worn video tape!
I'll admit over the Summer we all hurtled off on a glorious sunny day, actually one of the very few we had on our annual  pilgrimage to visit my forefathers in Wales, to see Toy Story III in 3D in Carmarthen. I wasn't expecting much but I was totally blown away not because of the 3D which was nice but because the story  was just as brilliantly put together as the previous two!  Attention to detail, an  understanding of childhood and more importantly of growing up and putting away childish things. I blubbed, thank heavens for those 3D glasses and of course waterproof mascara...
I think family movies are great when they themselves are great movies, there are plenty that are not but only time will tell about the classics whether they be books or films, they are the ones you share and talk about, the ones that inspire and delight that provide a bond where child and parent and even grandparent behold something on an equal footing...
So  to get back to things important, sometimes its kinda good not to feel guilty when you plonk yourself down and watch a really good film with your kids... as Mr Morris has said it may even be a bit educational and not juts for the children!

10 comments:

Molly said...

I used to watch Magic Roundabout, Camberwick Green, The Wombles and all those programmes when my two were little. There is something very special about that time being with them - just as much as reading to them. My 'kids' are now 43 and 39 and have survived pretty well considering :0)

Tattieweasle said...

mollygolver - I loved Camberwick Green! I used to watch it with my Gran and I think I can probably still sing the theme song to the Wombles too....:)

Apple Island Wife said...

Good choice! We love Toy Story, and Smudge was recently the proud recipient of a Buzz off e-Bay (bit smaller than anticipated and with no flashy bits). And yes, excellent thoughts - parenting is so full of pitfalls and guilt these days if you try and do it as if from the manual. Everybody needs down time every so often where they just kick back and don't try to split the atom.

Tattieweasle said...

Apple Island Wife - "kick back and don't split the atom" love it will now incorporate that into my child rearing manual!

Maggie Christie said...

I bought Toy Story long before I had any kids to share it with. Like you I love all three films and also like you I saw TS3 in Carmarthen - I wonder if it was the same day?

Posie said...

My son adored Toy Story when he was little and it lead to so many imaginary games on his part as he believed he was Buzz Lightyear himself and so enjoyed going 'to infinity and beyon' (he hadn't quite mastered the d sound at that point in time).

Tattieweasle said...

Preseli Mags - I wonder...it was the end of July one of the only days when the sun shone...I love what they have done to the old Cattle market and the car park is a dream compared to having to fight your way to a space outside M&S!!!!
Posie - After five years Buzz and Woody are still top in terms of make believe play. In fact Santa has been asked to get the "real" Buzz and Woody for Christmas...

Ladybird World Mother said...

OH HOORAY!!!!! This is exceedingly good news as I love nothing better than curling up with the children (and husband if he isn't 'doing things' in the garden) and watching a damned good film together. Toy Story is a firm favourite. Hooray for Desmond!! xxx

Inthemud said...

I love Toy Story too. The Toy story 111 was brilliant, didn't bother seeing it in 3d though as daughter no 3 had already seen it and said didn't make much difference!

Tattie, I too had chicken pox as a grown up think I must have been 36, it was dreadful i was ill for 3-4 weeks with it.

Tattieweasle said...

Ladybird World Mother - Dear Charklie and I have decided to call family slobbing out in front of box as "Doing a Desmond". As in: What did you do at the weekend - oh we did Desmond or Fancy a Desmond this weekend?
IntheMud - Chicken spots at 40 was really not nice thank heavens I had my sister around who looked after The Boy who had it teh week before aged 2...

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin