Thursday 3 June 2010

The problem with Organisation is Discipline....


The problem with organisation is discipline and by that you can discover I have neither in my life – it is a problem.
For living the way I do in a disorganised and undisciplined world, although wildly romantic and sometimes adventurous, is the cause I fear of the one great tragedy in my life; stress.
Stress the modern day scourge of the Western states more prevalent than the bubonic plague and equally as harmful sapping the will from countless millions and in a world where we have untold wealth and freedom the cause of so much unhappiness.
Well basically I have found a cure or if not that a great reliever of stress and that is organisation; I have just got to get it.
If I were organised I would have more time, time to relax and thus stay one step ahead of stress not stress due to big life affirming or changing events such as hatch, match and dispatch but of the more mundane things like running out of underwear or food and failing to keep up with bank accounts and school trips that sort of everyday, low lying stress which niggles and naggles at you and haunts your dreams so you never get any rest.
They say if you can do a thing for 20 days it will become a habit; I’m crossing my fingers that THEY are correct for in the next 30 days I am going to get organised once and for all and the first thing I am going to do is find out what the heck we have and I mean everything. For how can you get organised if you don’t know what you have to organise? This is the nitty gritty of my life. Stuff.
Get a grip on the small things and I’ll get a clearer view of the big picture once that is done I will know what the heck it is I am expected to do and no doubt get a better perspective on how I want to live.
So every draw and pocket, box and bag, cupboard and cubby hole will be gone through with a fine tooth comb. Everything will be sorted out and either put back in the place it belongs or thrown out. There will be no room for hangers on.
It sounds frightfully decisive doesn’t it? Ho hum let’s hope I have the will to do it and not get distracted along the way and that is why in a vain attempt to give the whole task a sense of urgency, a deadline if you will, I am joining Tiddlyompompom on this mad course to see if by stating it out loud I will have the discipline to carry it through.Wish me luck!!!

10 comments:

mountainear said...

I really do wish you the very best of luck with this one - I'm sure it will help lower the stress levels.

I speak of one who is good intentioned but only ever manages to be one tiny step ahead of chaos. Feel like that proverbial swan - serene-ish on the surface but paddling frantically under the water.

tiddlyompompom said...

blimey charlie, that is quite a challenge! good luck :)

Amelia said...

good luck. Yes, you're right stress is really a modern day plight that many of us suffer from. My goal is to also figure out a way to overcome it!

I will have to think up an achievement for June - such a great idea!

Amelia.x

resewn sally said...

Good luck!! I wish i could be more organised too. It drives me batty at times. I keep saying, "once we move to a bigger house", admittedly 5 people living in a small 2 bedroom house is pretty ridiculous. I've lost count of the amount of "stuff" i've thrown out or freecycled.

But i wish you all the luck in the world! To be organised would be a fabulous thing!
Sal. X

Expat mum said...

I'm a pretty organised person in that the kids always manage to have the right things for school, teachers get presents, birthdays are remembered etc. but my house is an absolute tip most of the time and it really stresses me out.

I have found that if I think about doing too much, it's even more stressful, but if I tackle one thing every day, not only does it stand a cat in hell's chance of getting done, but I feel a real sense of achievement and thus, calm! (Sometimes).

Mother Hen said...

Can I just say that you get major points for wanting to be organised with your stuff.

A word of advice...A SKIP (two words).

Every Fall I order a small skip for about three days and heave hoe all the toot and stuff in the draws, shelves, under beds, hiding in cupboards,etc. It is a great feeling. I know what I have and where it is, NOT because I am the MOM, but because we just have less of it to remember where it is!
It is very refreshing to skip stuff and I recommend it to everyone at least once a year.

Good luck. x

Dorset Dispatches said...

Following with interest. If you are successful I may have to follow. But want someone else to take the pain first before I embark on it. Good luck! x

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish you all the luck in the world! I have just cleaned out the girls' rooms. Just to give you a taste of the chaos, I collected 6 large dustbin bags of crap to be thrown out and counted 75 t-shirts to be given to charity - 75!!! Tomorrow I start on their bathroom - I may end up in ER with a stress related illness myself...

Tattieweasle said...

Mountainear - I love the idea of teh swan think I'd be more of a goose!
tiddlyompompom - er yes it is a challenge esp whern all I've really looked at is he barn and that made me blache a bit for starters!
Amelia - it is a great idea isn't it? And I'd give my eye teeth for a sure fire way to beat stress!
resewn sally - don't yiou just love freecycle problem is when I pursue I see all these things thast would be great...and seem never to actualy get rid of anything...
Expat Mum - I think I actually think too much obviously not enough doing going on!
Mother Hen - Skip ordered!
PantswithNames - you're too kind! (says she through gritted teeth as she lugs down yet more waste paper from the office....)
veryanniemary - 75!!!!????**** It must be a girl thing though the boys have more socks than I can count: mostly in singles though

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring post! I am THE most disorganised person on the planet and constantly feel stressed by the To Do List swirling around in my head. I wish you the very best of luck and if you succeed, let us know cos I might just give it a try myself!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin