Tuesday 15 June 2010

Never underestimate the advantage of age....

There is a tendancy to venerate youth; but one should never underestimate the advantage of age with all it's wisdom and it's ability to get liofe into perspective. Shame then that instead of learning it myself I have to be taught it's values by my dog.
Tattie my joyous ancient whippet, OK she gave me a look there, my jouyous mature dog, is not exactly and exemplary specimen of her breed. her head's to small she runs odd and he tail curls too much added to that she has fly away ears. She's not likely to be winning any prizes for her looks.
Now I have put her into classes at most dog shows we trug along to over the years because I am vain and think she is beautiful, which she is to me. Also it gives me something to do. She has never complained and happily prances about the show ring with the best of them and we always trundle home slightly disappointed at not even making a place when there are only four in the ring, even when I attach her to Bog Boy for the sympathy vote.
So the other day when we were at yet another Village Fete there was a dog show and thinking what the heck as I always do, in she went. This time into the veterans. There were loads of them and all very sprightly and well groomed and then there was Tattie. She didn't prance about, she walked along beside me nuzzling my hand. When we stopped she lazed about on the grass, didn't even get up when the judge came by; instead she just rolled on her back and made the judge tickle her tummy.
So you can imagine I held no high hopes. Third prize went, runner up went and I eyed up a very sprightly Norfolk Terrier almost with loathing knowing he would win when suddenly it was tattie's name I heard called out! And why had she been singled out as teh winner? For her laid back attitude to growing old!
My dog the Champion!

10 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Clever Tattie ! I must try the rolling over , tickly tum bit some time .... at Russian customs controls perhaps ?

Molly said...

Tattie - I love that! At least it shows the judges knew a good un when they saw one. I think she's beautiful too

diney said...

I love her - those cute ears! x

Anonymous said...

That is one heartwarming post!

Anonymous said...

Well done Tattie! (Liking the new look as well...)
xx

Lou Archer said...

Love you Tattie, ...I've tagged you over at mine!

Lou
xx

Mother Hen said...

Clever Tattie. Always nice when there's a happy ending. I too like your new page.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

We went to a show last weekend and I was amazed when son's dog didn't win anything so I sympathise. The moral seems to be keep trying!

Ladybird World Mother said...

HOORAY!!! So exciting to get first prize after such a long wait... good old Tattie!! Such a sweet post... I needed that.xx

Expat mum said...

Oh age? So there's hope for my mutt then?

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin