Friday 12 December 2008

What I do when He's away...

I have just scoffed eight very delightful and extremely superior chocolates, a very large glass of wine and a small packet of Hula Hoops as I watched Emmerdale.
This is the sum total of my Friday night's supper. I will regret it I know but for now, for these brief few hours, while it digests, I have regressed to an I am not an adult but nor am I a child state and I refuse to have any guilty feelings about it at all.
Tomorrow as they say is another day but for tonight as I sit here in a warm and fuzzy glow brought about by the unusual consumption of alcohol I do not care.
And why do I not care? Well, I have been left on my own. My better half has swanned off to be feted, wined and dined by academe in Cambridge, and I am basically feeling left out, lonely and bored. This is not the usual state of affairs. Usually HE is at home on Fridays and though we rarely these days do anything but have a hasty TV supper and zone out in front of the box, it is comforting. It is something I look forward to all week.
For on Saturdays he will not leave me, on Saturdays he will be around for breakfast. There will be eggs, and bacon, burnt toast and shouting, squabbling, laughing children, excited dogs, cats wending their way across the table most unhygenically. There will be the badly tuned radio and such a mess, such an awful mess that will immediately set me off and I will huff and puff and grumpily sit down to be poured tepid tea and passed rubber toast with eggs that look as though they have travelled a hundred miles and despite it all he will be there even if I will wish him otherwise at the time.
But tomorrow I will be on my own again.

13 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

I know just how you feel, doesn't every woman?
Lovely blog Tattie.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

got any chocolates left? Pass 'em over - I'll top the glasses up!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

got any chocolates left? Pass 'em over - I'll top the glasses up!

Maggie Christie said...

Oh I could so have written this! I've just had a cheese and onion sandwich and a packet of Rolos for supper because He's out having fun on his Christmas do. I too am feeling left out, lonely and bored. Hmmm. Better go and open the wine I suppose. Sigh. At least now I know I'm not alone in my plight. Cheers!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I must admit to a sneaking fondness for the occasional night on my own. A glass on wine, a book, an hour or two on the computer, a long bath. But I do know what you mean.

pinkfairygran said...

Lovely blog, love the description of the shambolic family breakfasts on Saturday. Our house is quiet, nobody here but us two getting older duffers, and we actually love it like this now. I always knew I wasn't overly-maternal, used to feel guilty about it, but no more. This is me, like it or lump it! But I have often been on my own due to the work of the other half, sometimes just for the odd night, once for over four months, and there were those nights when I used to eat stupid food, indulge myself, but the morning after effect gradually weaned me off them. Nothing to do with them that I now have three stomach ulcers and can no longer even moderately eat or drink things I love, let alone actually indulge!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Friday night - always special to me even if it is just being in with a bottle of wine to share with himself. Any other night I don't mind being by myself but not a Friday. You were quite entitled to scoff and down such an eclectic mix of cupboard love! Terrific post.

Kitty said...

My tea tonight is a glass of Bailey's and a Walnut Whip, I'm with you! And he's only upstairs reading!

Anonymous said...

How's the marathon training going? Scary isn't it?!

A Mum said...

i loved this. i loved the description of your saturday breakfast. and i loved the cats.

Anonymous said...

A well deserved award at my place for you!

Millennium Housewife said...

Mine is wine, ready meal and more wine... But yes, getting up alone the next day, especially with a slight hangover is the lonely bit. MH

Hannah Velten said...

Oh, Tattie. I'm on my own tonight - so will light fire, snuggle up with dog on the sofa (soooo not allowed when Dad at home!), eat something from the freezer (would normally drink copious amounts of wine, but can't at the moment!), have bath, go to bed early with book and get a good few hours sleep...before being woken up by alchol breath, 'have I told you how much I love you...(slurred!)' and then lots of snoring...x

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin