Monday 10 December 2007

This is a recorded message….

“As of 12 noon this day Monday 10th of December the requirement for you to house your birds has been lifted….”
I have rushed down the stairs, shot out of the door and run over to Stalag 57 and flung open the gate and told them they are free. And guess what – they stood stock-still and just blinked at me. Then they started to get all startled and there was much clucking and squawking and a flurry of feathers until I realised that in my excitement I hadn’t shut the front door properly and the dogs had followed me outside.
It could have been a tragedy! So within moments of saying: “You’re free!” I bolted the gate and removed the dogs indoors.
Slightly more calmly I re-opened the gate and there they all were at the back of the run in one great big huddle. I could see they were not impressed and to be honest I got the feeling that they were unsure whether or not to believe me.
To show my good intentions I scooped out some corn and started to call them outside. It took some doing I can tell you but it was Stupid who finally plucked up enough courage – it was ever thus with her food will always beat good sense. You could see the others watching but as soon as she started to eat and no one pounced on her the rest quickly followed.
There was such a lot of noise – I had missed it but hadn’t realised. Usually when I let them out in the mornings they are a noisy, cackling bunch shouting about being left behind or that someone is in their way or just chatting to each other as they scrabble around for breakfast.
And while they were incarcerated they had been quiet apart from the occasional chuckle or crow – it was quite a cacophony a few minutes ago and now I am upstairs telling you this and they are running about and jumping up and down and spreading their wings and Ollie is taking some down to the Orchard and Mr Tickle is squabbling with the Burnt brothers as to who is boss, Stupid is looking to go in the barn and see what the builder’s are up to and Stan is among the flower beds and Oh! It is good to see them out!

14 comments:

Maggie Christie said...

Oh Happy Day! What lucky chickens, I'm so glad they're out and about again. I love their names!

Hannah Velten said...

What a relief for you, and for them. Thank goodness...and good to know that they are back to their old selves so quickly after their subdued re-start at freedom! Mootia x

Elizabethd said...

Oh, how could you call her Stupid?!
Lovely to know they are free at last.

Norma Murray said...

I am so happy for your chickens. I hate to think of birds all cooped up. Whoop! Whoop!

Zoë said...

Brilliant.... I could almost see Steve McQueen egging them on!

Potty Mummy said...

I love that they all have names!

Blossomcottage said...

Lovley names we had a Clara Cluck once who sat and watched television with the children and then asked for the bottom oven of the Aga to be opened so she could have a warm up before we put her back in the hen house at night. Bonkers or what!!
Blossom

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Such good news! Love their names. Ours are called after ancient (and much loved) relatives.

toady said...

That's great. I'm imagining a scene from Chicken Run. Do any of the knit?

Frances said...

Thank you so much for all of the scene of the chickens granted freedom.

I have said it so many times before, but will now say it again, this city dweller absolutely loves having this view into another life.
I like where I do live, but even so, do envy your closer to nature everyday experiences. Sometimes where I live just seems so artificial.
xo

Kathleen said...

Hooray for chicken freedom!

Suffolkmum said...

I'm delighted for you all - the day did finally arrive!

Pipany said...

So glad they are free now Tattie (though I did love the blog about them pacing the boundary!) xx

Pondside said...

Free at last, Free at last!! I'm so glad that the incarceration is over!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin